Monday, July 13, 2015

Mid-Year Book Statistics

Hello everyone!  I decided that since we are now halfway through the year I was going to make an update on my mid-year reading statistics.  I'm a bit of a nerd so I love stats and charts and percentages and I would love to share some interesting things I've found in my reading.

As of today, I have read 41 books, and I am 7 books ahead on my goodreads goal, which is 55 books.

Age Range

YA: 22   54%
Adult: 18   44%
MG: 1   2%

I'm pretty okay with these percentages.  I would like to get my adult books up to 50% but I do enjoy YA so if I don't get to that, I will be okay with that.

Genre Breakdown

Dystopian: 1   2%
Literary Fiction: 5   12%
Contemporary: 10   24%
Fantasy: 14   34%
Memoir: 2   5%
Paranormal: 3   7%
Historical Fiction: 2    
Science Fiction: 2   5%  
Nonfiction: 2   5%

I will say that I am very surprised by how many contemporaries I've read this year.  I'd like to reduce the percentage of contemporaries I've read and increase the number of sci-fi and literary fiction for the rest of the year.

POC vs Non-POC*

POC: 6   20%
Non-POC: 24   80%

This is actually extremely embarrassing.  I am aware that it's certainly better than what it is for a lot of other people, but considering the fact that I have been actively trying to read diversely this year, this is something that I am ashamed of.  However, I have recently made a huge list of not only books by people of color but also their nationality, which consists primarily of people of color.  For my goal, I'd definitely like to get this up to at least 40% people of color.

* - out of 30

Nationality of Author*

USA: 23   77%
Jamaica: 1   3%
Nigeria: 1   3%
Canada: 1   3%
UK: 3   10%
Spain: 1   3%

Again, as with the POC stats, this is extremely embarrassing for me.  Only 22% of the books that I have read this year are from countries that are not the US and only 9% are from countries that I consider to be diverse, since I don't feel that the UK and Canada should count as diverse.  I'm going to work really hard for the rest of the year to remedy this, particularly by reading African, Asian, and South American authors.

* - out of 30

Format Breakdown:

ebooks: 23   56%
audiobooks: 2   5%  
paperbacks: 8   19%
hardcovers: 8   19%

I am happy to see that I'm using my Nook, but I do wish that I would read more physical books from both my public library and my personal library.  However, I do find that I read ebooks much faster than physical books, so that may be a part of the reason why my ebook count is so much higher.

Ebook Format Breakdown:

owned ebooks: 2   9%
Overdrive ebooks: 15   55%
eARCs: 6   26%

This was just out of curiosity.  I'd like to read more of the ebooks that I own because I own a lot, but if I don't, it doesn't matter.

Owned Books vs Library Books

Owned Books: 22   54%
Library Books: 19   46%

I'm very happy with this pretty much 50/50 statistic.  I'm glad to see I'm both using my library and reading the books I'm buying and receiving.

*Note: I'm counting eARCs as books that I own since they are my property and I do not have to return them to any establishment.

Average Number of Pages: 392

I'm happy to keep this hovering between 400 and 500 pages.  I'll read some more longer books to bump this up a bit, but I'm not too worried about this stat.

Publishing Year Breakdown:

2015: 14   34%
2014: 12   29%
2013: 6   15%
2012: 2   5%
2011: 2   5%
2008: 1   2%
2007: 1   2%
2006: 1   2%
1991: 1   2%
1989:  1   2%

This is cool with me.  I want to read some classics to get some books in the 1800s, but I know that I read primarily new releases and I feel comfortable with that.

Number of Rereads: 4   10%

Number of Diverse Books: 11   27%

This isn't great, but it is certainly better than my nationality percentages, which tells me that I'm reading a lot of diverse authors and books about diverse people and situations from the US, which is great.  I'd like to get up to 40%, which I honestly don't think will be a struggle.

Male vs Female Authors

Male Authors: 7   17%
Female Authors: 34   83%

Unique Authors: 30
Unique Male Authors: 3   10%
Unique Female Authors: 27   90%

So obviously I terribly neglect the male authors, which to be perfectly honest, doesn't bother me that much.  If I can read more books by male authors then I will, but I'm definitely focusing more on diversity than gender.

Okay, that's the end of my statistics.  I hope you found some of these interesting, and feel free to let me know in the comments what your statistics are if you calculated them, and what your opinions are on reading diversely.

Thanks for reading!
Amber

56 comments:

  1. League of Angels Fire Raiders Hack
    http://bit.ly/1Q03xIU
    Features:
    Unlimited Gold, Diamonds, Soul Stones and VIP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dead Effect 2 Hack Generator
    Features:
    Unlimited Credits and Crystals

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angel Stone Hack Generator
    Features:
    Unlimited Gold and Carats

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, this website is really beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salvation Ultimatum Hack Generator
    Features:
    Unlimited Cash and Gold

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crisis Action Hack Generator
    http://bit.ly/1m3GQZa

    Features:
    Unlimited Coins, Diamonds and Honor

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! a great article dude. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a good deal! I've tried their lip balms but not their other skincare items. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Far Cry Primal Cd Key Generator work fine on all platforms : MAC / Windows 2003 / XP / Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 / Win 10 but work also good on PC, PS4, Xbox One consoles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Free Fire - Battlegrounds Cheats Coins and Diamonds Android / iOS I’m sure this new Free Fire Battlegrounds Hack will be for you.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing the cover - I like it! This sounds like an intriguing read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, we are proud to present our online generator with which you can hack your Last Empire War Z game. See the generator in action!!! So, have you ever wondered how top players have enough resources to get whatever they want? They are using our online generator to generate unlimited amount of Diamonds, Fuel and Food after that they can play win in the game easily.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our generator work with on all Android & iOS devices, including the iPhone, the iPad and Ipod Mini and iPod touch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They have impressed football legends such as Neymar, Özil, Zidane, Xavi and Pep Guardiola to name a few. SkillTwins also inspire millions of fans all around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pro Evolution Soccer 2017
    Very simple to use by anyone and it has a very user friendly interface.
    Free myClubCoins

    ReplyDelete
  15. Plants vs Zombies Heroes Hack
    From the makers of Plants vs. Zombies 2 and Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 comes the next great game in the epic battle between doom and bloom – Plants vs. Zombies Heroes
    FREE NO COST Coins and Gems HERE

    ReplyDelete
  16. MLB 9 Innings 16 Hack tool is an online generator that will help you to generate Points & Stars on your iOS or Android device!
    Read More...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bullet Force Live Hack Resources is an online tool that will help you to generate Credits and Gold on your iOS or Android device!
    Read More...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bullet Force 2017 Hack Cheats Online is new TOOL created to make the game easier for you.
      Bullet Force Hack!

      Delete
  18. Super Mario Run Hack Our team just created the Generator Tool Online that will help you to get free Coins in no time.
    read more...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Super Mario Run Coins Hack Our team just created the Generator Tool Online that will help you to get free Coins in no time.
    Access Online Generator: Super Mario Run Glitch Get completely free no cost 14,000 Coins Today!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Star Wars Force Arena Hack Crystals and Credits will allow you to buy all cheats (resources) items for free no cost. Below you will see all the cheats needed to Generator Star Wars: Force Arena.
    Access Generator: Star Wars Force Arena Hack

    ReplyDelete
  21. Legacy of Discord Hack Online Tool Diamonds and Gold will allow you to buy all resources items for free no cost. Below you will see all the cheats needed to Generator Legacy of Discord.
    Access Generator: Legacy of Discord Hack

    ReplyDelete
  22. Summon Rush Hack is new online tool created to make the game easier for you.
    Summon Rush Hack!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Avenger Legends Hack diamonds is new online tool created to make the game easier for you.
    Avenger Legends Hack!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Heroes of Skyrealm Glitch Gems is new 2017 online tool generator created to make the game easier for you.
    Heroes of Skyrealm Hack!

    ReplyDelete
  25. War of Rings Hack Diamonds online generator created to make the game easier for you.
    War of Rings Hack!

    ReplyDelete
  26. RollerCoaster Tycoon Touch Hack Generator is new Online TOOL created to make the game easier for you.
    RollerCoaster Tycoon Touch Hack!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fifa Mobile 2017 Hack Points and Coins online generator created to make the game easier for you.
    Fifa Mobile Hack!

    ReplyDelete
  28. If their language is taking a turn for the worst, you may want to limit the amount of time they are spending playing games FIFA Mobile hile are explicit or unsuitable for their age. If you choose not to preorder (or just forgot to), you can maybe still benefit the first day or two a game comes out. Many retailers bundle a freshly released game with a gift card or certificate worth ten or twenty dollars. This can make buying a new game at launch much cheaper.
    Hack Fifa Mobile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Major Mayhem 2 Hack Get Unlimited Coins and Gems for you device Android or iOS 100% Worked.

      Delete
  29. When your eyes get tired playing Critical Ops hack games, make sure to stop. When you strain your eyes and force yourself to continue to the next level of the game, it will harm your eyes and lead to vision problems. Pause the game and give your eyes a rest periodically to avoid these problems. Play demos before making a purchase. By doing this, you can discover Critical Ops hack games you enjoy so Critical Ops hile you don't waste money on games you end up hating. You will also have a chance to figure out a bit of strategy before you get fully immersed. With demos, you never have to purchase a game Critical Ops hile you don't like.
    Critical Ops hack!

    ReplyDelete
  30. To save money, consider renting the games that your children play instead of buying them. This will cost a fraction of the price, and most gamers will never play a game again after the first couple of weeks. This is one of the most cost conscious things that you can do in regards to gaming. Be aware of the addictive nature of gaming, whether it's you or someone, you love constantly at the console. Although games can be great fun and even offer something educational, they are by their very nature an addictive activity that can soon over-take anybody's life. Know the signs of addiction and watch out for them!
    hack Fortnite

    ReplyDelete
  31. Rules of Survival Hack Gold and Diamonds online generator created to make the game easier for you.
    Rules of Survival Hack!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Tekken Mobile, the world's most successful fighting game franchise has been brought to mobile!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Free Fire Battlegrounds is a third-person survival game.

    ReplyDelete
  34. The Sims Mobile- Create your Sims, give them unique personalities, and customize their world with more detail than ever before on mobile.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Fortnite Battle Royale Hack V-Bucks 2018 !

    ReplyDelete
  36. PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS goes mobile - the original Battle Royale game is now available on your device!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Team up to build your roster and dominate the league in Tap Sports Baseball 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  38. MARVEL Strike Force Hack - GET Unlimited Gold and Orbs for you device Android or iOS !

    ReplyDelete
  39. Welcome to Dead Rivals Online Generator Gems FREE.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Welcome to Shadowgun Legends Online Generator Gems FREE.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Destiny Warfare Hack - Unlimited Credits and Gold for you platform-device Android, 100%Worked.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Dungeon Hunter Champions Hack Get Unlimited Gold and Gems for you device Android or iOS.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Death Shooter 4 Hack - Unlimited Cash and Gold for you platform-device iOS and Android 100% Worked.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Giants War Hack - Unlimited Crystal and Gold for you device iOS and Android.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Welcome to ARK Survival Evolved Mobile Hack Online Generator Ancient Amber FREE.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Welcome to World Soccer King Hack Online Generator Coins and Gems FREE.

    ReplyDelete
  47. West Gunfighter Hack - Unlimited Diamonds and Gold for you device iOS and Android.

    ReplyDelete
  48. WOW Great list! I need to read some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I simply could not depart your web site before suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the usual information a person provide to your visitors?
    Is gonna be again frequently to check up on new posts.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Death City Zombie Invasion Hack Mod Generator - Generate Unlimited Diamonds and Gold for you Platform iOS and Android.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Assassins Creed Rebellion Hack Mod Generator - Generate Free 15K Helix Credits for you Platform iOS and Android.

    ReplyDelete